17 October 2008

a few scattered thoughts...

i anticipate more blogging time when Jeremy heads to Ireland next week for six days. usually we spend our evenings together, eating dinner after Eli's tucked in bed, and then watching a movie or something on tv. during my lonesome evenings while he's away, i plan to work on house projects, art projects, spend time with friends, and document my week's events by blogging. the days will be filled with embracing autumn, Eli and me together. i can't wait for that... (though i do wish i was going to Ireland too!)

until then, there will be a full weekend following a full week.

jeremy's cousin jason visited us from florida this week, and we enjoyed showing him around our little town, scooting into Nashville for a trip to Crema, a bit of thrifting to stock up on wooly things for Jeremy's trip, and watching a good film called The Visitor.

the main character in the film reminded me a lot of my dad. something about the way he looked, his mannerisms, and his conservative plainness met with a kid-like curiosity and layer of humor just beneath the surface. jeremy saw my dad in him too without my saying so.

this led to a good little sob-session on jeremy's chest as we settled down for bed. he told me i could wipe my nose on his t-shirt if i wanted to. it felt good to remember, and to be sad and also laugh over some memories, quietly in the dark on tuesday.

wednesday marked three years to the day since i have seen my dad, and though it gets easier with each season, i also hate that the passing time takes him farther and farther away.

today i took Eli to the park and just enjoyed being with him. lately he is the most fun person in the world to be around. tonight some friends are coming for dinner. tomorrow afternoon we're taking a family outing to a pumpkin patch and might find some leaf-covered ground to crunch through. fall is our favorite time of year, hands down.

on sunday we'll go to Kentucky again for church. jeremy has been doing music for a new church plant since last january. we miss our church here in Nashville and seeing many of those friends, but we are really enjoying being a part of this new church for the moment, and it's great to see how Jeremy's gifts are being used. the pastor also asked me to help dream up some aesthetic ideas since we are currently borrowing space in another church's bare little fellowship hall. i hope to lend some of my creative input where i can.

monday, we'll sneak away for a date night. our nights out have been less consistent lately, so when we have them i always have these grand notions of romantic dinners in quiet corners with wine and elegant plating. but at Margot Cafe for our anniversary last month, we almost fell asleep in our little plates of amuse bouche. [we suspect we might be getting old without realizing it.] this time, i suggested we just do something fun...so we're going to try a restaurant that's a little more lively. still with good food & conversation, of course. we're considering City House in Germantown, or Mad Donna's in our old neighborhood.

well readers, the chicken is soaking in its poaching bath, so before it gets too tough to shred, i better go make these enchiladas for our dinner guests.

enjoy your weekend. may there be good friends involved, and good leaf-crunching too.

4 comments:

jenni said...

I added The Visitor to our Netflix queue - it looks like a movie we'd enjoy, too (there's even a djembe). If the main character reminds you of your Dad, I'll like it even more - I liked your Dad lots. Hope this isn't making you sad again; I love that Jeremy offered his shirt as a Kleenex.

gina said...

thanks for the movie suggestion. i am new to your blog, but have enjoyed reading it very much. i, too, have been know to use my hub's t shirt as a snot rag.

Janelle said...

Hi. I came across your blog from JJ Heller's. I'm new to the blogging world (as of this morning!) and was wondering where you guys go to get your images that you put in your heading line at the tops of your page. I do really like yours. I love the artsy images and want to give mine some flare... but don't yet know how. Could you help? :)

kierstin said...

hi Janelle,
i actually use my own photography images to create the headers in photoshop. it's not terribly hard to do...let me know if you want some help with that.